The Alicante ELLIS Unit Foundation is a newly created nonprofit private foundation headquartered in Alicante, Spain, devoted to scientific research on human-centric Artificial Intelligence. Hence, its name “The Institute for Human(ity) Centric AI” (IHCAI). It is part of the network of 30 ELLIS units.
This is an exciting time to join the IHCAI as it is in its early days and the Head of Legal will have the opportunity to have significant impact in defining IHCAI’s culture and making it grow. This is a position reporting to the Foundation’s Director.
• Drafting, developing, and leading corporate legal strategy to promote and protect the Foundation’s matters
• Developing and supervising all internal audit and compliance programs and norms that apply to the Foundation
• Developing, negotiating, and drafting the yearly subsidy agreements in collaboration with the Valencian Government and other funding agencies
• Ensuring that the Foundation complies with all the necessary legal requirements
• Drafting and delivering the yearly activities and financial reports of the Foundation to justify the subsidies and the use of other funding sources
• Representing the Foundation in the Mixed Commission with the Generalitat Valenciana
• Selecting and managing the delivery of all legal services and resources to accomplish the Foundation’s goals, strategies, and priorities, including auditing and labor law services
•Maintaining proper interactions with the relevant local and state governmental bodies, legislatures, and the community at large
•Advising upper management and the board of trustees in all legal matters
•Participating in the formulation of general management policy as a member of the executive management team
Skills and Characteristics
Educational Background and Work Experience
Bachelor’s degree required; MBA or Master’s degree strongly preferred, ideally with experience working in a field related to public/private foundations and public administrations.
A candidate for this position must have had at least 7 years of working experience working in a corporate legal capacity within a fast paced, fast evolving and dynamic environment, preferably working as a Senior Lawyer.
The Head of Legal must also have successful experience leading negotiations on complex, high value, contracts, and agreements.
In-depth knowledge of administrative law (subsidies), foundations law and all other legal matters concerning research foundations with international employees that receive both public and private funding.
The candidate must also have a demonstrable track record producing effective and high- quality legal advice to upper management, leading to enhanced integrity in both internal and external affairs.
Proven and successful experience creating departmental priorities that align the strategic direction of the legal department and the overall business objectives.
A suitable candidate will also have proven experience in relationship management and a demonstrated ability to lead a legal team and develop talents that subsequently drive value across the business.
Bilingual (English and Spanish)
WORKING AT THE ELLIS UNIT ALICANTE FOUNDATION
We are focused on hiring and developing great people, giving them autonomy, and maintaining high expectations to help team members grow. Our core values are:
Compensation is commensurate with experience and education. The annual target salary range will be competitive and will depend on seniority and experience.
The ELLIS Unit Alicante Foundation offers an attractive working environment in Alicante, a Mediterranean city with mild year-long weather and outstanding quality of life. The Candidates must have permanent authorization to work in Spain.
The Alicante ELLIS Unit Foundation seeks candidates who can start by October 1st, 2021, with the possibility of starting earlier.
To apply, please fill our your application here