The Alicante ELLIS Unit Foundation is a newly created nonprofit private foundation headquartered in Alicante, Spain, devoted to scientific research on human-centric Artificial Intelligence. Hence, its name “The Institute for Human(ity) Centric AI” (IHCAI). It is part of the network of 35 ELLIS units.
This is an exciting time to join the IHCAI as it is in its early days and the Operations Assistant will have the opportunity to have impact in defining IHCAI’s HR processes and culture and making it grow.
This is a position that would report to the Foundation’s Head of Operations, working in accordance with best practice in the management of non-profit Foundations. The candidate will perform support and administrative duties in three areas:
(1) Finance, accounting, banking, auditing, and budgeting;
(2) Purchasing, contracting, procurement, (including public tender processes) and risk management; and
(3) Payroll management, tax processes, annual audit, funding, reporting, and all other operational and administrative duties required to ensure the correct operation of the Foundation.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Identify and propose opportunities for improvement in internal administrative and financial operations, processes, procedures, and controls.
- Provide legal support in drafting and overseeing contracts and agreements, and other legal documents.
- Provide support in matters related to the legal obligations for non-profits and foundations, always with the aim to ensure the foundation fully complies with the laws and regulations in place.
- Provide administrative support to the Foundation’s director in the performance of general tasks.
- Collaborate regularly with the Foundation’s auditors and other suppliers and advisors to ensure the Foundation’s operations are carried out appropriately and respond to the highest performance standards.
Educational Background and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA or Master’s degree strongly preferred, in Law, Business Administration, Economics or a related field.
- Up-to-date training and qualifications in business management and/or economics as well as administrative law are a must.
- 1+ year of professional experience in an administrative or operations role.
- Legal experience in the field of administrative law and good knowledge of the legal requirements for non-profit organizations and foundations.
- Experience in a technology-oriented or research-oriented organization is a plus. Experience working with or at a non-profit private Foundation is desirable
- B2 English and Spanish.
Skills and Characteristics
- Deep commitment to the ELLIS and the ELLIS Unit Alicante Foundation’s mission and core values.
- Excellent verbal, presentation, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Outstanding customer service skills and strong team player with the ability to build and maintain strong relationships.
- Prior knowledge or experience in the foundations and/or NGO sector preferable.
- Good knowledge of digital management tools (accountancy, administration, tasks, project management).
- Capacity to work as part of a collaborative and entrepreneurial team within a dynamic and growing organization.
- Self-initiative, autonomy, adaptability, commitment, a capacity for fast-learning and a problem-solving, hands-on attitude and high levels of motivation are essential to succeed in this role.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint and Word).
WORKING AT THE ELLIS UNIT ALICANTE FOUNDATION
We are focused on hiring and developing great people, giving them autonomy, and maintaining high expectations to help team members grow. Our core values are:
- We strive for excellence and pursue our mission with passion.
- We embrace calculated risks and new approaches. We have an entrepreneurial spirit that welcomes innovation, diversity of ideas, and out-of-the-box thinking.
- We are truthful, fair, and trustworthy in all aspects of our work. We hold ourselves and our partners to the highest ethical standards. We trust you will too.
- We understand that our ultimate success depends on that of our partners and funding agencies. Your humility will be key to building trusted and authentic relationships.
- We value each of our team members as individuals but believe that we achieve the greatest results by working together. We hope having fun at work is important to you and that you are a team player.
COMPENSATION AND CONTRACT CONDITIONS
Compensation is commensurate with experience and education. The annual target salary range will be competitive and will depend on seniority and experience. This contract has a trial period of 4 months.
The ELLIS Unit Alicante Foundation offers an attractive working environment in Alicante, a Mediterranean city with mild year-long weather and outstanding quality of life. The Candidates must have permanent authorization to work in Spain.
The Alicante ELLIS Unit Foundation seeks candidates who can start by January 31st, 2022, with the possibility of starting earlier.
Please, send your CV and motivational letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Operations Assistant Position